STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY MR. THAWEECHOT TATIYAPERMPOON, FIRST SECRETARY, PERMANENT MISSION OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND TO THE UNITED NATIONS, AT THE PLENARY MEETING OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY TO ENDORSE THE POLITICAL DECLARATION OF THE COMPREHENSIVE HIGH-LEVEL MIDTERM REVIEW OF THE ISTANBUL PROGRAMME OF ACTION FOR THE LEAST DEVELOPED COUNTRIES (New York, 25 July 2016)
1. I have the honour to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. At the outset, please allow me to express, on behalf of the Group, our thanks to you for convening this meeting of the General Assembly to endorse the political declaration of the Comprehensive High-level Midterm Review of the Istanbul Programme of Action (IPoA) for the Least Developed Countries (LDCs) for the Decade 2011-2020 which was adopted on 29 May 2016 in Antalya, Turkey, and adopt this draft A/70/L.56 resolution. Our appreciation also goes to the Permanent Representatives of Benin and Belgium, as Co-Facilitators of this process, for their leading role and tireless efforts, as well as to all the stakeholders involved in the process for their constructive engagement.
3. As we embark on our common journey towards sustainable development, the principles of universality and inclusiveness must not be forgotten lest we would all fail as a team. It is not only important that all of us engage in a constructive manner to reach consensus on this political outcome, but also that we accelerate our assistance to enhance capacities of LDCs towards their efforts to achieve the priority areas set forth in the IPoA and to implement the 2030 Agenda.
4. With strong support from all of us, and with coordinated actions, we are confident that the LDCs will be able to overcome their structural weaknesses. And in this light, we are hopeful that at least half if not all of the LDCs will meet the graduation criteria by 2020.
5. The Group of 77 and China would like to once again express our solidarity with our LDCs friends and our commitment to provide support to them in their efforts in the implementation of the IPoA as well as the 2030 Agenda in order to make their development gains sustainable, inclusive and meaningful.
I thank you.