In 2000, the Millennium Declaration identified fundamental values essential to international relations (A/RES/55/2). The Millennium Development Goals set targets for realizing these values around the world by 2015 and served as the focus for UN work throughout the period:
- Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Achieve universal primary education
- Promote gender equality and empower women
- Reduce child mortality
- Improve maternal health
- Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Ensure environmental sustainability
- Global partnership for development
These websites gather comprehensive historic information on a particular aspect of the UN and supplement this guide.
Millennium Declaration (A/RES/55/2) is the outcome document of the Millennium Summit.
Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)
2005 World Summit
2010 High-level Plenary Meeting of the General Assembly on the Millennium Development Goals